This is Part 2 in my Cloth Diapering series. You can read about my first experience with cloth diapers here.
Fast forward 2 years – I decided to try again with #3.
Kid #4 hadn’t been born yet, so I only had one in diapers at this point in time. This time, I tried making my own diapers and covers:
The homemade diapers and covers worked pretty well and were cheap. We got by with these and some microfiber towels added in for absorbency.
I started using a dry diaper pail instead of a wet pail, and was finally able to line-dry my clean diapers. The hot sun and winds took care of the stains and smells like a charm! I was saving at least $50 per month on diapers.
At this point, I also made some cloth wipes to use with my diapers. I cut up a cheap fleece blanket into 5″-6″ squares. No hemming or sewing required!
To wet my wipes, I use a spray bottle filled with tap water and a squirt of lavender baby shampoo. The shampoo is really only in there to make it smell nice.
I was fairly happy with this setup. Eventually, I made some stuffable pocket diapers using Rita’s Rump Pocket pattern.
These were great. I bought a pack of microfiber towels from the auto section of Wal-Mart and used these inside my pocket diapers. The absorbency was amazing, but the diapers were huge and bulky!
I used my homemade diapers and covers for about 6 months, right up until two days before #4 was born..
Come back tomorrow for part 3, where I’ll share my current diapering setup!