I only rotate 8 covers between my two kids in diapers, so they get washed
an ungodly number of times fairly often. I usually wash every other day, but there have been times that I’ve had to wash every day. I would guess that each cover has probably been washed at least 100 times.
If these were expensive covers, I’d probably be more upset about the leaking. But since I only paid $6 each after shipping, I knew I was getting a somewhat cheaper product.
Lately, we’ve had MAJOR leaking issues. Especially with four-month-old Kid #4. And I’m not just talking about moisture on the leg elastic.. I’m talking about WET on the front and the back less than an hour after changing. Instead of buying or making more covers, I decided to take things into my own hands with a can of waterproofing spray.
The first thing to do is to find some good waterproofing spray. I picked this particular brand because it’s silicone-based and meant for clothing.
Prepare your work area. I used a sheet of cardboard to protect my counters. Also, prepare your diaper cover using duct tape. I covered all the hook and loop tape with duct tape, and added another strip on the top edge to help stretch the cover out.
Let it dry for about three hours. Mine was dry faster because I stuck it outside in 105 degree weather…
After drying, feel free to test the cover’s new-found water resistance.
You can see that the water is beading on the cover instead of going through it. This means that the waterproofing worked! If the cover still doesn’t have enough water resistance, you may want to add a second layer of the waterproofing spray.
A cheap can of boot sealant gave my covers a second life. This was definitely a frugal and worthwhile project!